1. The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates
(Random House 21.00)
2. An Unconditional Freedom by Alyssa Cole
(Kensington Publishing 15.95)
3. Before We Were Wicked by Eric Jerome Dickey
4. Best African American Fiction by E. Lynn Harris
(Bantam Books 16.00)
5. Freshwater By Akwaeke Emezi
(Grove Atlantic 14.45)
6. On The Come Up by Angie Thomas
(Balzer + Bray 9.99)
7. Over The Fence by Mary Monroe
(Kensington Books 24.50)
8. The Nickle Boys by Colson Whitehead
(Doubleday Canada 24.95)
2. American Histories Stories by John Edgar Wideman
10. Their Eyes Are Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
(Harper Collins 15.75)
1. Becoming by Michelle Obama
2. Between The World And Me by Ta Nehisi Coates
(Spiegel & Grau 23.40)
3. Black Fortunes by Shomari Wills
(Harper Collins 17.90)
Acts Of Faith by Iyania Vanzant
(Fireside Touchstone 12.99)
5. Open Season by Ben Crump
(Harper Collins 26.99)
6. Stolen by Richard Bell
(Simon & Schuster 27.00)
7. The Man Who Sold America by Joy-Ann Reid
(William Morrow 22.99)
8. The Truths We Hold by Kamala Harris
9. Tough Love by Susan Rice
(Simon & Schuster 30.00)
10. When They Call You a Terrorist by Patrisse Khan-Cullors
(St. Martin’s 13.65)
The African race is a rubber ball. The harder you dash it to the ground, the higher it will rise.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
I swear to the Lord I still can't see Why Democracy means Everybody but me.
Black people have always been America's wilderness in search of a promised land.
Do not call for black power or green power. Call for brain power.
Racism is not an excuse to not do the best you can.
The time is always right to do what is right.
Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.
I was raised to believe that excellence is the best deterrent to racism or sexism.
In this country American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
Be nice to whites, they need you to rediscover their humanity.
Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations.
In recognizing the humanity of our fellow beings, we pay ourselves the highest tribute.
Whatever we believe about ourselves and our ability comes true for us.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the dream and the hope of the slave. I rise I rise I rise.
You have to believe in yourself when no one else does -- that makes you a winner right there.
When I found I had crossed that line, [on her first escape from slavery, 1845] I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person. There was such a glory over everything.
Yes we can.