1. Their Eyes Are Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
(J.B. Lippincott 15.75)
2. An Unconditional Freedom by Alyssa Cole
(Kensington Publishing 15.95)
3. The Fifth Season: The Broken Earth by N. K. Jemisin
4. A Deeper Love Inside: The Porshe Santigo Story Sister Souljah
(Atria / Emily Bestler Books, Reprint Edition 21.18)
5. A Big Girl’s Revenge by Ms. Michel Moore
(Penguin Random 10.95)
6. Listen To The Lambs by Daniel Black
(St. Martin’s Press 16.99)
7. The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory
8. The Other Woman Eric Jerome Dickey
(Dutton Reissue Edition, 10.85)
9. Trouble In Rio by Carl Weber
(Urban Books 24.95)
10. The Streets Have No King Jaquaris Coleman
(St. Martin’s Press Griffin 9.48)
1. Becoming by Michelle Obama
2. Stony Road by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
(Penguin Random 30.00)
3. Between The World And Me by Ta Nehisi Coates
(Spiegel & Grau 23.40)
4. Acts Of Faith by Iyania Vanzant
(Fireside Touchstone 12.99)
5. The Truths We Hold by Kamala Harris
(Penguin Press 14.95)
6. The Man Who Sold America by Joy Ann Reid
(Harper Collins 22.99)
7. The Source Of Self Regard by Toni Morrison
8. Shook One by Charlamagne Tha God
(Atria Books 14.83)
9. How Not To Get Shot by D.L. Hughley
(Harper Collins 18.19)
10. Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston
(Deckle Edge 16.99)
The African race is a rubber ball. The harder you dash it to the ground, the higher it will rise.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word.
I swear to the Lord I still can't see Why Democracy means Everybody but me.
Black people have always been America's wilderness in search of a promised land.
Do not call for black power or green power. Call for brain power.
Racism is not an excuse to not do the best you can.
The time is always right to do what is right.
Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.
I was raised to believe that excellence is the best deterrent to racism or sexism.
In this country American means white. Everybody else has to hyphenate.
Be nice to whites, they need you to rediscover their humanity.
Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations.
In recognizing the humanity of our fellow beings, we pay ourselves the highest tribute.
Whatever we believe about ourselves and our ability comes true for us.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together.
Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave, I am the dream and the hope of the slave. I rise I rise I rise.
You have to believe in yourself when no one else does -- that makes you a winner right there.
When I found I had crossed that line, [on her first escape from slavery, 1845] I looked at my hands to see if I was the same person. There was such a glory over everything.
Yes we can.